Is cloud the ultimate data storage solution? That remains a hot and widely debated topic. Every day more and more organizations are unplugging their data centers and are moving to the cloud. As for most organizations, cloud migration is a rather safe drill. Along with that, cloud security solutions enable organizations to increase agility, accelerate time to market, and reduce costs.
Even though cloud computing presents cybersecurity and regulatory compliance challenges, which make organizations hesitant to move to the public cloud, that sentiment is changing as cloud security technologies have vastly improved. Lately, organizations feel more confident about adopting cloud security services, and it is common for an organization to have its infrastructure on multiple clouds — in some cases as many as 10 or 15 clouds. As part of their digital transformation initiatives, organizations are opting for more cloud security service providers. Yet some have concerns about data residency, data privacy, and confidentiality of data.
In the previous Cloud Security Power List issue (July 2019), CISO MAG conducted a survey of information security experts to gauge their responses on the trends in cloud security space. The findings of the survey were:
- Hybrid cloud security solutions are considered the most trusted cloud strategy among the companies surveyed. The subsequent biggest strategies were private cloud in second place, public cloud as the third most popular, and community cloud as the least adopted method.
- The biggest cloud security challenge for companies is detecting and responding to security incidents. Meeting regular compliance requirements is a close second.
- The biggest cloud security threat is data leaks. Surprisingly, only one-fifth of the companies surveyed think insufficient due diligence is the most prominent threat.
- When it comes to cloud computing security services, a large number of respondents think traditional security tools are not sufficient to manage security across cloud environments.
- The most critical factor when deciding on cloud-based security services is meeting compliance requirements. In second place, almost one-third of the companies surveyed consider cost-effectiveness as the most prominent factor when deciding on a cloud provider.
- About 40% of the companies surveyed think budget is the most important criteria when selecting a cloud vendor for migration. Ease of patching, certification, and security compliance tied as the second most important requirement.
CISO MAG editors also picked and profiled the best cloud security companies to look out for. These profiles included:
- Trend Micro
- Safe T
- Oblique Drive
The necessity for cloud adoption varies from companies to companies. And in most cases, the benefits of cloud computing depend on the kind of business the organization is into. Organizations ultimately have their risk profile depending on various vectors like staffing and access, resource allocation, regulatory policies within the organization, and most importantly its potential for a huge data breach.
This year, CISO MAG Editors will again conduct a survey to gauge the changing sentiment about Cloud Security. They will invite leaders and decision-makers in businesses of all sizes, and across geographies, to participate in this survey. — The results will culminate in a report for the June 2020 issue, titled Power List – Cloud Security. The report will also shed light on the trends and adoption of cloud technology solutions.
For more information about the Power List issue on Cloud Security, write to: [email protected]
About CISO MAG
CISO MAG is a publication from EC-Council which provides unbiased and useful information to the professionals working to secure critical sectors. The information security magazine includes news, comprehensive analysis, cutting-edge features, and contributions from thought leaders, that are nothing like the ordinary. Within the first year of launch, the magazine reached a global readership of over 50,000 readers. The magazine also has an Editorial Advisory Board that comprises some of the foremost innovators and thought leaders in the cybersecurity space. Apart from this, CISO MAG also presents a platform that reach out to the cybersecurity professionals across the globe through its Summits and Awards and Power List surveys.
EC-Council, officially incorporated as the International Council of E-Commerce Consultants was formed to create information security training and certification programs to help the very community our connected economy would rely on to save them from a devastating Cyber Attack. EC-Council rapidly gained the support of top researchers and subject matter experts around the world and launched its first Information Security Program, the Certified Ethical Hacker. With this ever-growing team of subject matter experts and InfoSec researchers, EC-Council continued to build various standards, certifications and training programs in the electronic commerce and information security space, becoming the largest cybersecurity certification body in the world.